Dangerous Products: February 2009 Archives

February 17, 2009

Fort Lauderdale Electrical Accident Causes Pembroke Pines Man's Death

Broward County:  Junior Seaton of Pembroke Pines, FL died Monday in Fort Lauderdale after coming into contact with a power line he was helping repair.  Seaton, a Florida Power and Light (FPL) employee, had allegedly completed his work on the power lines at the 600 block of East Broward Blvd. when he returned to the lines and was electrocuted.  Seaton was taken to Broward General Medical Center but died shortly after arrival according to reports. 

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 212 workers died nationwide from electrocution in 2007.  Of those deaths, 21 were from Florida.  However, not all deaths from electrocution happen in the workplace.  The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reports that there were 400 deaths from electrocution in the United States in 2000.  Of those electrical deaths, the CPSC estimates that 150 deaths were caused by consumer products.  Although the percentage of electrocution deaths attibutable to consumer products declined between the years 1990 and 2000, it is important to be vigilant in adhering to proper usage and warning labels on all electrical devices.

Although the Seaton work-related accident will presumably be handled legally as a worker's compensation claim, compensation for other electrical injuries or deaths caused by the negligence of another can be persued through personal injury claims or wrongful death actions.  Some examples of these types of claims include defective products that cause electrocution despite proper use, negligently maintained electrical equipment, downed power lines, and unguarded electrical installations.  The legal issues surrounding an electrical accident that results in injury or death can be complex, and the injured party or his/her family should contact an attorney for answer to any questions that may arise.

Continue reading "Fort Lauderdale Electrical Accident Causes Pembroke Pines Man's Death" »

Bookmark and Share
February 12, 2009

Hollywood, FL Company Recalls Peanut Butter Products for Potential Salmonella

Hialeah Products, Inc. of Hollywood, Florida has recalled an assortment of potentially contaminated peanut butter and peanut products that are linked to the Salmonella scare associated with Peanut Corporation of America's Blakely, GA plant.  No injuries or illnesses attributable to the South Florida company have been reported to date.  The recalled products are sold under the names Hialeah Products, Florida Snacks, Crown Wine & Spirits, and many more.  Amongst the products being recalled include the Boca Bar Mix and the South Beach Mix.  The complete list of recalled products and the entire story can be found on the local South Florida NBC website.

According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the signs and symptoms associated with Salmonella infection include diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps approximately 12 to 72 hours after initial infection.  The infection and the associated symptoms usually resolve within 4 to 7 days.  However, infants, the elderly, and people with impaired immune systems are more susceptible to severe infection.  Without treatment, severe Salmonella infection can cause death.

As of February 8, 2009, the CDC reported one Florida case of Salmonella poisoning attributable to the peanut butter outbreak strain.  South Florida residents should be cautious when consuming peanut and peanut butter products, if they choose to do so at all.  If you have been infected with Salmonella after eating peanut butter products, you may have recourse within the legal system.  Lawsuits are beginning to be filed against the manufacturers and distributors of the contaminated peanut products seeking payment of medical bills and lost wages associated with the Salmonella illnesses across the country.

***DISCLAIMER: The content provided is not intended to be construed as legal advice.  If you have any questions or concerns, based on your factual circumstances, please contact Law Offices & , P.A. at .    

Continue reading "Hollywood, FL Company Recalls Peanut Butter Products for Potential Salmonella" »

Bookmark and Share