VICTIMS OF DRUNK DRIVING
Accidents resulting from drunk driving are not just accidents; they are criminal matters because they occur due to the irresponsibility of an intoxicated driver. Driving under the influence is as irresponsible as shooting randomly at a crowd. Culprits must be made fully accountable to the law because they put the lives of many anyone on the road jeopardy. A single act of recklessness from a drunk driver can forever alter the lives of victims.
Drunk driving is illegal and rightly so considering that the effects are often devastating and fatal. Victims of drunk driving deserve compensation. There is a sense of closure that comes with knowing justice has been served. If you or a loved one is a victim of drunk driving accident, it is vital that you seek the services of an experienced lawyer to help you enforce your rights.
What Florida law says about drunk driving
The law says that if you have been hit by a drunk driver, you are a victim and entitled to compensation under the Florida Crimes Compensation Act. The compensation will cover losses encountered due to the accident.
To be eligible, the following criteria must be met:
- The DUI must be reported within 72 hours.
- The application must be filed at most one year from the date of the crime.
- There must be personal physical injury or death resulting from the accident.
- The victim must cooperate with the state attorney's office, attorney general's office and law enforcement agents.
- The victim should not have been involved in any unlawful activity as at the time of the DUI.
- The victim must not have contributed to the accident.
- There must not be any record of felony conviction by the victim.
Meeting these criteria ensures you are eligible for these benefits;
- Wage loss
- Treatment expenses
- Property loss reimbursement
- Mental health counseling
- Loss of support for deceased victim
- Funeral expenses
Hiring a competent personal injury attorney
For a successful representation in your DUI case, you must hire a competent lawyer who will ensure that justice is served.
Before hiring a personal injury lawyer, you need to carry out some preliminary research. Drunk driving accident suits must be handled carefully.
- Search for an experienced and dedicated attorney determined to bring you justice and get you your due compensations.
- Ask friends, relatives and previous victims of DUI to recommend a competent accident lawyer. You can use the internet to confirm their information.
- Ask the selected attorney(s) pertinent questions like their experience and success rate with DUI cases, and their legal fees.
- Also find out about the lawyer's knowledge of the state's DUI laws.
- Hire the best of the lot, one that is affordable yet competent and aggressive.